4/13/2010

Le Tigre packs a punch.

First three adjectives that come to mind when listening to this album:
Appealing
Creative
Vivacious

Three favorite songs on album:
"After Dark"
"Tell You Now"
"New Kicks"

Le Tigre's last full length album, This Island, hit the streets in 2004. Since their indefinite hiatus there has been a tangible gap in the music market that has yet to be filled. Today's mainstream music is no match for those electronic dance beats filled with innovative radicalism.

This Island is studded with some heavy hitters. From the chilling (Literally... It gives me chills.) anti-war anthem titled "New Kicks" to the sexy electronic-punk-pulsing-rhythms of "After Dark," Le Tigre holds their own. There are so many stand outs on This Island that I found it extremely difficult to pick my top three tracks. Even the cover song, "I'm So Excited" (originally by The Pointer Sisters) ends up being one of my favorites. When done by Le Tigre, "I'm So Excited" doesn't sound like a cover song at all. It fits with the rest of the album perfectly and sounds completely original.

The formation of this album is steady, from beginning to end—taking the listener through the various stages of Le Tigre's musical faces (which include riot grrrl, hip hop, electronica, and punk) with the precision beyond their years.

This Island only contains one downfall, "Nanny Nanny Boo Boo." For some reason this song completely annoys me. I don't know if it's the title, the lyrics, or the music, but for whatever reason, I generally end up skipping it. It seems fragmented and slightly pointless.

I would highly recommend buying This Island. It may take a couple of listens, but stick with it because it will end up becoming one of your favorite albums. Okay, who am I kidding, you're not going to buy the whole album, you cheap bastard. At least buy my three favorites. And "TKO"... and "I'm So Excited"... and..."Seconds"...and...


Album design:
The album design is lacking compared to the music on the album. The theme seems to be prom. I'm not sure why. Especially when the album is called This Island. Maybe I'm missing something? I think Le Tigre is more creative than this shows.

On the bright side, they include lyrics, which I am always a fan of.





Next Up:
Kaki King, Junior (2010)




No comments:

Post a Comment